Some weekend rain did little to dampen atmosphere at the Wastelands, however it did cause some operational challenges with heavy machinery used to help maintain the track in between races.
“We had to delay our practice to Sunday morning because of weather but other than that it went very well.”
Wastelands hosted three events in 2021 as regular racing got underway post-pandemic restrictions. Two races were part of the VIMX series while a March season opener served as a club race.
Wiltsey added many kids and adults turned to motocross throughout shutdowns in other sports.
“Our membership at the Wastelands almost doubled through the pandemic. A big percentage of those are new riders. It’s been great for our sport to see new people into it.”
A full list of results for the event is available on the VIMX website, with division winners from the central Island listed below:
- Ramido Galdames (Nanaimo) – 1st, 50cc open
- Baelen Macklem (Qualicum Beach) – 1st, 65cc Open
- Dylan Ramirez (Qualicum Beach) – 1st, 85cc 12-16 years old
- Lucas Evans (Nanaimo) – 1st, Beginner Open
- Nick Syrotuck (Nanaimo) – 1st, Plus 30
- Luca Mihoc (Nanoose Bay) – 1st, Tykes 4-8 years old
Local news. Delivered. Free. Subscribe to our daily news wrap and get our top local stories delivered to your email inbox every evening
On Twitter: @NanaimoNewsNOW