Posted on

Sit down and shut up: Massive three-day board game event coming to Vancouver

Sit down and shut up: Massive three-day board game event coming to Vancouver

Organizers have set it up so solo attendees can find groups to play with and try out new games.

Fans of dice, group activities and little coloured plastic things you move over a piece of cardboard, there’s an event coming up just for you.

Shux 2022 arrives at the end of September; the three-day event is put on by Shut Up and Sit Down, a website dedicated to board games.

“We’re the foremost board game reviewers pretty much in the world,” says Lisa Pope, the show manager, adding that board games are now a multi-billion dollar industry with fans and players around the world.

And they’re bringing their games and friends to Vancouver starting Sept. 30 for three days of fun with anyone who wants to join in.

“Stage shows, massive social games, special events, over 50 publishers, 1,000+ Title Game Library, and more open gaming than any other show in Canada make these three days you’ll never forget!” promises the show’s website.

The open games floor is particularly friendly, Pope says.

“You can’t stand in the open gaming area without someone asking you to join a game,” she says, explaining that many people come alone to the convention and just play with strangers, getting to know new people and new games at the same time. There’s also a matchmaking system, so people can find games and people at the same time.

There are also large social games with up to 20 people working together in one game.

It’s the fourth time the convention has happened in person; they started in Vancouver in 2017. The last live convention was in October 2019; since then there have been a couple of digital conferences, but Pope is excited to see people playing in person again.

While the convention is based in Vancouver, she notes there are people coming from around the world to play here; for one, the Shut Up and Sit Down team has people coming from the UK. It helps that the city and convention centre are set up in a beautiful and practical place, Pope explains.

“A lot of our attendees are from outside of Vancouver or even outside of Canada;” Pope says. “We want to share how great Vancouver is to everyone.”

When: Sept. 30 to Oct. 2, 2022

Where: Vancouver Convention Centre

Cost: $199 for 3-day ticket.

Posted on

Macau confirms 31 positive cases of COVID-19 as events, offices shut down

Executive Action
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Macau’s Novel Coronavirus Infection Response Coordination Center confirmed late Sunday that 31 people had tested positive to COVID-19, representing the SAR’s first major outbreak since the start of the pandemic almost two-and-a-half years ago.

Among the confirmed cases are 21 females and 10 males ranging in age from eight months to 89 years. Eight of the 31 are symptomatic confirmed cases with 23 asymptomatic at this stage. In their epidemiological investigations, authorities have followed up a total of 602 people, including what they describe as “146 close contacts, 375 non-core close contacts (people with common trails), 36 secondary close contacts, 10 general contacts and four accompanying persons.”

The detection of the 31 cases comes after the Health Bureau initially announced 12 positive cases of COVID-19 in the Macau community, with Kiang Wu Hospital reporting at 6pm on Saturday evening (18 June) the detection of a positive test result in a “10 mixed into one” nucleic acid test. One of the patients was later confirmed to be positive.

The government immediately checked the place of residence and work of the confirmed patient, and found that “at least 10” people were confirmed positive in the building where the patient lives.

This led to the declaration of an “immediate state of prevention” with all government events to be suspended or cancelled and all sports facilities to be shut down. The government also announced the closure of most of its offices today and tomorrow (Monday and Tuesday).

At a press conference on Sunday morning outlining some restrictions, Secretary for Social Affairs and Culture, Ao Ieong U, said, “In addition to supermarkets and so on, I hope that some venues will close down, and casinos can also take the same measures, but for the time being, there will not be any instructions, and I hope that enterprises will voluntarily comply and reduce the movement of people in the community.

“I hope people will stay at home, and I hope restaurants will suspend the supply of dining-in food.”

All departures from Macau are now required to present a negative NAT report from a test conducted within the past 24 hours.

The Macau government also announced that all Macau residents will be required to undergo a NAT test between 12 noon on Sunday 19 June and 12 noon on Tuesday 21 June.

The number of confirmed cases was updated to 21 on Sunday afternoon and then 31 on Sunday evening, with more likely to follow.