Posted on

Hong Kong bars some journalists from covering events, ceremonies marking handover anniversary

Hong Kong bars some journalists from covering events, ceremonies marking handover anniversary

Chinese and Hong Kong flags are hanged to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong’s handover to China, on June 17.Kin Cheung/The Associated Press

Hong Kong authorities, citing “security reasons,” have barred more than 10 journalists from covering events and ceremonies this week marking the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong’s return to China, according to the Hong Kong Journalists Association.

The journalists represent at least seven media outlets, including international news agencies Reuters and Agence France-Presse and others from Hong Kong, the association said in a statement posted online late Tuesday.

“The authorities have made ad hoc and narrow interview arrangements at this important juncture and have put forth vague grounds for refusal, seriously undermining the freedom of the press in Hong Kong,” the statement read.

The Hong Kong outlets affected include the English-language South China Morning Post, and Chinese-language newspaper Ming Pao as well as online news outlet HK01, the association said. The South China Morning Post said in a news report that one of its photographers had been rejected, with no reason given.

The rejections come amid strict requirements for those attending the July 1 events. Journalists covering the events must have daily COVID-19 nucleic acid tests starting last Sunday and stay in a quarantine hotel from Wednesday.

A news report by Hong Kong Economic Journal said at least three other journalists from local news outlets were informed Wednesday that their applications to cover the events had been rejected.

Despite receiving approvals that had instructions for checking in to the quarantine hotel, some received rejection notices on Wednesday while on their way to the hotel, while others were informed that they were barred from the events upon arrival.

Authorities had invited media outlets to submit up to 20 applications to cover the events – which include a flag-raising ceremony and the inauguration for the new Hong Kong government – but later specified that only one journalist from each outlet could be sent to cover each of the two events.

Reuters said in a news report it had put forward two journalists’ names to cover the events, and that both applications were rejected.

Ming Pao and HK01 did not immediately comment. Agence France-Presse declined to comment and an SCMP spokesperson declined to comment beyond their news report.

The affected media organizations were invited to send other journalists to cover the event, but the replacements must also meet the quarantine and testing requirements, according to the journalist association’s statement.

The Information Services Department, which sent out the initial invites to media outlets informing them to register to cover the event, declined to provide information on how many journalists were given accreditation and also did not comment on an SCMP news report that said one of its own photographers had been barred from the event.

“The government is striking a balance as far as possible between the need of media work and security requirements,” the Information Services Department said in a statement. “We will not comment on the accreditation outcome of individual organizations and persons.”

The rejections came as Hong Kong police confirmed that Chinese President Xi Jinping will visit the city for the anniversary of the former British colony’s return to Chinese rule on July 1, 1997.

Xi’s visit will be his first trip outside of mainland China since the coronavirus pandemic took hold about 2 1/2 years ago. Police have announced a raft of security measures, including road closures and a no-fly zone.

Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. Sign up today.

Posted on

Indivior Statement on Nationwide Increases in Fentanyl-Related Mass-Overdose Events

Indivior Statement on Nationwide Increases in Fentanyl-Related Mass-Overdose Events

Expanding access to medication to treat opioid use disorder is a critical part of the solution

RICHMOND, Va., April 12, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Indivior PLC (LON: INDV) today released the following statement regarding the US Drug Enforcement Administration’s (DEA) recent memorandum to law enforcement partners offering guidance and support in response to a nationwide spike in fentanyl-related mass-overdose events.

Indivior (PRNewsfoto/Indivior)

“The DEA’s recent action reinforces the growing and unprecedented crisis of fentanyl-related overdose in the United States and provides guidance to help communities in their treatment and prevention efforts,” said Mark Crossley, Chief Executive Officer, Indivior. “A critical part of the solution is increased access to evidence-based medication for people struggling with the chronic disease of opioid and substance use disorder.”

The nation’s overdose epidemic is now driven by fentanyl.1 The CDC estimates that in the 12-month period ending in October 2021, more than 105,000 Americans died of drug overdoses, with 66 percent of those deaths related to synthetic opioids like fentanyl.1 These overdose deaths are affecting families and communities across the country, and the need for access to medications to treat opioid use disorder (MOUD) to help those suffering from opioid use disorder (OUD) and substance abuse has never been more critical.

To turn the tide on this devastating epidemic, Indivior is committed to expanding access to medications for opioid use disorder. One of the most critical needs is in under-served communities where racial and ethnic minorities face barriers to treatment access due to stigma or bias, heightening the inequities already present within our healthcare system. In addition, for those involved with the criminal justice system, approximately 65 percent1 meet the criteria for substance use disorder (SUD), yet only 5 percent2 of those who need treatment receive it.

About Opioid Use Disorder (OUD)

Opioid Use Disorder (OUD) is a chronic disease in which people develop a pattern of using opioids that can lead to negative consequences. OUD may affect the parts of the brain that are necessary for life-sustaining functions.3

About Indivior

Indivior is a global pharmaceutical company working to help change patients’ lives by developing medicines to treat substance use disorders (SUD) and serious mental illnesses. Our vision is that all patients around the world will have access to evidence-based treatment for the chronic conditions and co-occurring disorders of SUD. Indivior is dedicated to transforming SUD from a global human crisis to a recognized and treated chronic disease. Building on its global portfolio of OUD treatments, Indivior has a pipeline of product candidates designed to both expand on its heritage in this category and potentially address other chronic conditions and co-occurring disorders of SUD, including alcohol use disorder and cannabis use disorder. Headquartered in the United States in Richmond, VA, Indivior employs more than 900 individuals globally and its portfolio of products is available in over 40 countries worldwide. Visit www.indivior.com to learn more. Connect with Indivior on LinkedIn by visiting www.linkedin.com/company/indivior.

References:

  1. National Institute on Drug Abuse: Criminal Justice Drug Facts. June 2020

    https://nida.nih.gov/publications/drugfacts/criminal-justice
  2. National Institute on Drug Abuse: Criminal Justice Drug Facts. June 2020

    https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/criminal-justice
  3. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health. Drugs, Brains, and Behavior: The Science of Addiction. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 18-5063PT5, Printed 2018.

Cision View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/indivior-statement-on-nationwide-increases-in-fentanyl-related-mass-overdose-events-301523621.html

SOURCE Indivior

Posted on

Joint I/NGO Statement on Recent Events in Ukraine

Joint I/NGO Statement on Recent Events in Ukraine

We are deeply disturbed by reports of the recent series of shelling along the line of contact in Donetsk and Luhansk regions that reached civilians and critical civilian infrastructure in multiple locations. Children and teachers in a kindergarten and a school, workers, humanitarians, and residents of Stanytsia Luhanska, Vrubivka and other areas were present at close proximity to targeted locations and exposed to grave and immediate risk with some of the residential buildings and private houses sustaining collateral damage.

This does not come as an isolated event as it has been the reality for the people of Luhansk and Donetsk regions for nearly 9 years. While hostilities are ongoing, all parties must adhere to their obligations under international humanitarian law by ensuring that civilians and civilian infrastructure, especially schools, hospitals, and water systems are protected from armed violence and enabling the swift and unimpeded delivery of humanitarian assistance to the affected populations. The right to life is a fundamental human right and every human life is priceless.

We also call on all parties to the conflict to agree to a lasting ceasefire, as this is the only way to protect civilians from violence and other violations of their rights. In particular, we are calling on all parties to prevent threats of attacks against schools, children, and teachers in line with the Safe School Declaration and humanitarian law.

We are also concerned about the effects of the current tensions on people’s physical and mental well-being. People everywhere in areas both controlled and not controlled by the Government of Ukraine are anxious and exhausted by statements of officials and information of the mass media. In his most recent public address on Ukraine, the UN Secretary-General emphasized that diplomacy should prevail and “there is no place for incendiary rhetoric. Public statements should aim to reduce tensions, not inflame them”.

The humanitarian community in Ukraine warns that the ongoing tensions could result in a drastic increase in humanitarian needs. With the armed conflict in eastern Ukraine entering its 9th year, 2.9 million people living on both sides of the line of contact remain in urgent need of humanitarian assistance whereas the Humanitarian Response Plan continues to be significantly underfunded with only 4% out of 190 million USD in funding requirements allocated as of February 18, 2022.

The current events and risks require even more engagement and solidarity of the international community with the affected civilians. Diplomatic efforts should prevail over any intensification of the already existing armed violence in eastern Ukraine to avoid further human suffering.

Signed:
ACTED
Danish Refugee Council
HelpAid International
Médecins du Monde
Norwegian Refugee Council
People in Need
REACH Initative
Save the Children

Posted on

Joint I/NGO Statement on Recent Events in Ukraine – Ukraine

Joint I/NGO Statement on Recent Events in Ukraine - Ukraine

The following is a joint statement by I/NGOs operating in eastern Ukraine on the current security developments.

February 18, 2022, Luhansk and Donetsk regions, Eastern Ukraine

We are deeply disturbed by reports of the recent series of shelling along the line of contact in Donetsk and Luhansk regions that reached civilians and critical civilian infrastructure in multiple locations. Children and teachers in a kindergarten and a school, workers, humanitarians, and residents of Stanytsia Luhanska, Vrubivka and other areas were present at close proximity to targeted locations and exposed to grave and immediate risk with some of the residential buildings and private houses sustaining collateral damage.

This does not come as an isolated event as it has been the reality for the people of Luhansk and Donetsk regions for nearly 9 years. While hostilities are ongoing, all parties must adhere to their obligations under international humanitarian law by ensuring that civilians and civilian infrastructure, especially schools, hospitals, and water systems are protected from armed violence and enabling the swift and unimpeded delivery of humanitarian assistance to the affected populations. The right to life is a fundamental human right and every human life is priceless.

We also call on all parties to the conflict to agree to a lasting ceasefire, as this is the only way to protect civilians from violence and other violations of their rights. In particular, we are calling on all parties to prevent threats of attacks against schools, children, and teachers in line with the Safe School Declaration and humanitarian law.

We are also concerned about the effects of the current tensions on people’s physical and mental well-being. People everywhere in areas both controlled and not controlled by the Government of Ukraine are anxious and exhausted by statements of officials and information of the mass media. In his most recent public address on Ukraine, the UN Secretary-General emphasized that diplomacy should prevail and “there is no place for incendiary rhetoric. Public statements should aim to reduce tensions, not inflame them”.

The humanitarian community in Ukraine warns that the ongoing tensions could result in a drastic increase in humanitarian needs. With the armed conflict in eastern Ukraine entering its 9th year, 2.9 million people living on both sides of the line of contact remain in urgent need of humanitarian assistance whereas the Humanitarian Response Plan continues to be significantly underfunded with only 4% out of 190 million USD in funding requirements allocated as of February 18, 2022.

The current events and risks require even more engagement and solidarity of the international community with the affected civilians. Diplomatic efforts should prevail over any intensification of the already existing armed violence in eastern Ukraine to avoid further human suffering.

Posted on

Town Manager, Police Chief Statement Regarding Events on Hancock St. on Feb. 12

On behalf of the Town staff, I would like to express our sincere concern surrounding the tragedy that occurred this past weekend on Hancock Street, and to offer our sympathy and support to all who were directly and indirectly impacted, including residents and staff. We acknowledge the trauma this type of event can have for us as individuals, and as a broader community. 

While we, as Town employees, cannot discuss this specific incident due to the independent investigation by the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office, we want you to know that we care and that we understand various community members may be impacted differently. 

Once the investigation is completed, we will hold a community conversation to listen to your concerns and answer any questions that you may have. In the meantime, our Human Services Department has clinicians who are available to provide individual support to any resident who needs it. Services are free and confidential. 

The Human Services Department can be reached at 781-698-4840 or humanservicesoffice@lexingtonma.gov

We thank those of you who have reached out to offer support and value the relationships we have built over the years. We are humbled by the privilege to serve the Lexington community, and are committed to transparency and action when the time is appropriate.

Jim Malloy, Town Manager
Michael McLean, Chief of Police

Posted on

Select Board Statement Regarding Events on Hancock St. on Feb. 12

The impact of Saturday’s events on Hancock St. has deeply affected us all.  On behalf of the Lexington Select Board, I want to extend our condolences to the family of the deceased.  We hope for healing for our employees, the staff and residents of Eliot Community Human Services, their neighbors, and all residents of our community. 

We remain concerned for the well-being and safety of all members of our community. We will provide all necessary support to our first responders, and continue to ensure we provide the community with the best possible public safety and services. 

We ask the community to keep all those involved in their thoughts.

Jill Hai
Chair, Lexington Select Board