Cochrane’s Family Resource Network (FRN) held the last of four special events to help new Ukrainian residents create connections in the community.
The network hosted two cafes and two walks during the month of August.
FRN’s Jessica Nairne says the events were held to help the new residents to connect with each other as well as learn more about Cochrane. While no other special events have been planned but FRN continues to encourage the new residents to continue to take advantage of the services they offer.
Those services could be particularly valuable for new services with children going back to school.
It is estimated over 70 Ukrainian families have now settled in the Cochrane area.
FRN has a long list of ways to assist and navigate residents, including
- Essential Needs programs that provide access to Cochrane Food Bank, Cochrane Connect Card, and much more.
- Assist with government systems navigation, advocacy, supportive counselling, and referrals to other community services.
- Early Childhood Development programs provide families an opportunity for social connections and play, while young children up to age 6, gain and master skills in all developmental domains.
- Ages and Stages screenings provide a snapshot of how your child is doing with communication, physical ability, social skills, and problem-solving skills. Screenings can identify your child’s strengths and any areas where your child may need support. You can fill out an ASQ online and a Family Support Worker will follow up with you. ASQ Online
- Parent Education sessions are offered throughout the year, on a variety of topics, for families with children from birth to age 18.
- A Home Visitation program that provides in-home support to families with young children (birth to 6). Referrals are made through FRN and service is provided by Children’s Cottage.
- Youth supports and prevention programming is offered by BCG Cochrane & Area, for ages 7-18. Youth Outreach line: 403-618-3149. https://www.bgccochrane.ca/contact-us
The services of FRN are strength-based, trauma-informed, inclusive, supportive, and respectful, with a focus on building capacity. Services are provided in partnership with the Town of Cochrane, FCSS, Children’s Cottage, and BGC for Cochrane & Area.
To learn more about FRN, phone 403-851-2265.