Track & Field | March 05, 2022
Ashton Allen won the men’s 400m, Jalaysiya Smith the women’s 100m hurdles, Celera Barnes the women’s 100m, Gavin Schurr the men’s 100m and Breanna Bernard-Joseph the women’s 400m hurdles to lead the Trojans during the final day of the Beach Opener held at Jack Rose Stadium in Long Beach, Calif. today (March 5).
- Allen and Sam VanDorpe went 1-2 in the men’s 400m dash. Allen had a collegiate-best time of 48.24 to win, while VanDorpe had a time of 48.74 to take second.
- Janiah Brown took third in the women’s 400m with a PR of 56.54.
- Smith won the women’s 100m hurdles by nearly a second with a time of 13.96 (-1.0). She came back later to take fourth in the women’s 200m dash with a time of 24.33 (+0.4).
- Barnes, in her first race for the Trojans since transferring in from Kentucky, won the women’s 100m dash with a wind-aided time of 11.25 (+3.3). Her 11.25 clocking was her best season-opening time of her collegiate career.
- Schurr made his Trojan debut by winning the men’s 100m with a time of 10.47 (+0.2). Daniel Robinson and Curtis Johnson III tied for seventh with a time of 10.80. The wind in Robinson’s heat was (+0.1) and in Johnson’s was (+0.2).
- Bernard-Joseph opened up the outdoor season with a time of 60.65 to win the women’s 400m hurdles. Teammate Maci Simmons placed third with a time of 60.89 in her first outdoor race as a Trojan.
- Robinson took second later in the day in the men’s 200m dash with a time of 21.60 (-3.4). His time was best among the college runners. Johnson III had a time of 21.89 (+0.4) to finish fifth in the event.
- Dallas Wise made his Trojan outdoor debut by placing eighth in the men’s long jump. Wise had a best leap on the day of 22-9.00/6.93m (+1.1).
- Wise then came back to finish third in the men’s high jump with a clearance of 6-9.00/2.06m. He went out at 6-11.00/2.11m, as did all the other jumpers, which would have been a personal best.
USC will next be in action at the 2022 NCAA Indoor Track & Field Championships in Birmingham, Ala. From March 10-12. USC’s next outdoor action will be on March 18-19 when it hosts the annual Trojan Invitational at Loker Stadium.